The project brief I initially chose for creating jewellery titled Moment or Memory, with which I was intending to create Perspex jewellery. I wanted to make pieces that symbolised a significant moment from the past, in nature that is in my memory as a wonderful moments.
As the project has progressed, it has come to me wanting to express the ‘Sublime’ in nature.A moment when you stop for a second to look around or when the sites around are just too beautiful to neglect, such as a sunset, or a view, something that seat he’s your attention for a moment.
As my research and brainstorming has developed and after experimenting with resin casting, I am finding that my ideas around my brief have evolved into something a little more unique.
In terms of the title moment or memory, I had initially been thinking I would use elements from nature (such as plant matter, stones, forms) to set in the resin or in a Perspex dome as a symbol of that particular moment.
After experimenting with setting plants into the resin, and then putting a critical viewing of them, the pieces didn’t portray anything. They were just like any other resin setting with flowers in, there was no message being expressed, even though I know what I want to say through the jewellery, there was nothing to read into it portray that special feeling of being in nature.
After the first experiments, I began to consider what would capture that special recollection of that sublime moment, and then the idea of setting in photographs of that particular memory of being surrounded by the beauty of nature.
Being a photographer I tend to take photos of these moments, and when you stop to look for them they are all around, so I had plenty of photos to experiment with.
These are my first experiments with setting photos into the resin and only my second time using resin, (I will upload a better photo of the final polished pieces in the next few days).
They turned out better than the first, being smoother and better cast form, however there is a few issues I will have to resolve with the photos when setting, as they kept rising to the surface and coming apart in the ones where I put two images in back to back.
There also was a few air bubbles occurring, perhaps caused by the fact that the first layer of resin had set quite hard before I put the image in, since I did a fast set solution rather than the slow set mixture used for the first experiment. It also seemed that using the fast set created a smoother result in the resin, possibly due to fewer changes in temperature when setting, since the slow set took a few days.
Photographs are my own, including those used in the resin casting 🙂